A Woman on a Mission

This is my refuge, my cathartic release... It's not glitzy or glamorous, but it's ME.

Monday, May 22, 2006

Cult Overdose

For the first time in over five years, I stepped into a Kingdom Hall of Jehovah's Witnesses on Saturday. What a joke. We went because the brother of a good friend ( and my soon to be boss ) died of colon cancer, and he was a JW. How could we not show our support? Jim was only 42, and had been diagnosed a month ago with stage 4 colon cancer. While I was in Indianapolis, he was told that the cancer had spread to his vital organs at a rapid rate, and that it would be in his brain within a week. He died at the Cleveland Clinic last week. He left behind a 25 year old wife and 2 young children. It was a devastating loss to his family. It all happened so quickly.

First, the whole Kingdom Hall experience. I hated walking through those doors-that old, uneasy feeling of familiarity came over me instantly. They started out with a prayer to "Jehovah God," and then proceeded to talk about the religion, rather than this man's life. The first issue the speaker (actually, he's called an elder, but whatever) brought up was blood. Jehovah's Witnesses follow some commandment from the old testament, and are not allowed blood transfusions. Although, they are allowed to receive all of the components of blood (platelets, white and red cells etc.) separately. WTF??? Ok, that makes sense- you can't receive a pint of blood, but hey, get the red and white blood cells separated, and throw in some thrombocytes, and you're ok. Such utter bullshit. Anyway, the speaker said that Jim 'kept firm to Jehovah's principles and wouldn't take blood even though it could have saved his life...'

It was an outright lie. He had INOPERABLE cancer. There was no blood loss, therefore no blood offered. In fact, he took some things that he was unsure about the JW stance on, in hopes of extending his life. I was outraged (although, not surprised) when the very first thing out of the speaker's mouth was blatant dishonesty. Then, instead of remembering the man Jim was, the speaker stood up on his soapbox and preached JW principles. It was an absolute disgrace. I had to stifle laughter and keep from rolling my eyes several times. At one point during the funeral, I broke down. Not because of Jim (I hope this doesn't make me sound like a horrible person) but because I wasn't sure I could continue listening to the tripe that was coming out of the speaker's mouth. The one positive thing I will say, is that at least his JW family members have hope that he will be alive again one day. I'm sure it's a comfort for them, and who am I to discredit the solace they find in their faith?

Last night, I had a bridal shower to attend for my step sister in law. She is a witness as well, but I didn't want to be rude and not make an appearance. So I went, and what do you know, it was nothing but witness ladies and girls comparing 'meetings' (church) and 'service time' (door to door preaching). They all knew, because Aaron grew up JW and my mother in law has a big mouth, that I used to be a witness. I wanted to scream at all of them when I'd catch a contrite stare or a comment about being 'in Jehovah's good graces.' After an hour, I had enough. I graciously said my good byes, and got the hell out of there.

I am 'out of the fold,' and a part of the world's 'evil system of things.' And you know what? There's no place else I'd rather be.

1 Comments:

At 4:03 PM , Blogger KneuroKnut said...

I hear you Allison. Where my inlaws are concerned I drink coffee and I'm a misfit. Holy Christ! I watch what I say and don't mention beer...or tea...or going shopping on Sunday. One day I'm going to slip up and just scream "Someone get me a goddamned coffee before I take my thong underwaer, that's right, I said THONG, and go dance myself senseless in some kind of gay orgy while partaking of the devil's juice." Ahem.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home