A Woman on a Mission

This is my refuge, my cathartic release... It's not glitzy or glamorous, but it's ME.

Thursday, August 03, 2006

I'm not even supposed to be here today!!

So I've established that my job sucks. I've come to terms with that. My head has been throbbing since my little meltdown last week, and this week it only intensified. My shoulder is cracking even more, and the pain underneath it is a constant burn. It hurts to do something as simple as a shoulder check in my car. Have I mentioned I think I've been run over by a truck?? (Actually, I sort of did, 3 years ago, and here I am whining today)

And that's why I told the president today that I would work next week, but I'm unable to fulfill the duties required as their Administrative Assistant. They were disappointed, to say the least. I have a feeling they may try and entice me to stay with a little raise, because, clients have been singing my praises, and the staff loves me. I put on a happy face each morning and worked through the pain. I hated every moment of it, but I fooled them all into thinking I was gung ho. I don't know what that says about me...

What they need to do, the cheap bastards, is hire an office manager, or pay the A.A. a FAIR salary. It's unreal what they expect for $9.00 an hour. I was making that at Safeway, at 16! My last receptionist position paid $14.00 an hour,and required half the responsibilities. Temping pays more. Cleaning houses pays $25 an hour. I've idly debated going back to work at a club, where the money is flowing, but I know physically or mentally, that ain't happening. In some ways, I feel like a quitter... Once again, in over my head. But, even my doctors were very hesitant, and asked if I could put work off a little longer. I was adamant that I try it. Staying home all day gets very boring, and isolates me from the rest of the world.

This doesn't mean I'm going back to laying around and worrying obsessively. I am going to start going with the VP of the other/'real' job and sit in on enrollments. They consist of sitting and explaining benefits to a group of employees and signing them up. It pays just over $25 an hour, and a work day is 8-10 hours, with breaks and comped lunches. But I have to sit in on a few first, without getting paid, to learn the process. I have another class to go to, for a specific company that provides us with small group plans, and my sister is coming in two weeks. I'm going to be a busy girl. Hopefully, as soon as class is done in September, I can start getting paid again, and do what I've been working towards this whole time.

My playlist every morning and evening while on the road:

1. I write sins not tragedies- Panic! at the Disco
2. Move along- All American Rejects
3.Over my head (Cable Car)- The Fray
4. 100 years to live- Five for Fighting
5 Make Damn Sure (usually twice in a row)- Taking Back Sunday
6. Clumsy- Our Lady Peace
7. Dani California-Red Hot Chili Peppers
8. Promiscuous-Nelly Furtado
9.Boulevard of Broken Dreams- Green Day
10. Miss Murder- AFI


It's amazing the effect a few of your favorite tunes have. One thing I didn't mind, was the dressing up and the routine. Aaron would make me Cappucino in the morning, and I'd watch the Today show as I got ready. I'd press play on my cd player in my little car, and feel like a somebody, just because for once in a long time, I was accomplishing something.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home